feeling such a necessary sadness.
“A person learns how to love himself through the simple acts of loving and being loved by someone else.”
— Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
"For years mental health professionals taught people that they could be psychologically healthy without social support, that "unless you love yourself, no one else will love you." Women were told that they didn’t need men, and vice versa. People without any relationships were believed to be as healthy as those who had many. These ideas contradict the fundamental biology of human species: we are social mammals and could never have survived without deeply interconnected and interdependent human contact. The truth is, you cannot love yourself unless you have been loved and are loved. The capacity to love cannot be built in isolation."
- The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog
"Her and Lost In Translation are connected to each other. They’re very much on the same wavelength. They explore a lot of the same ideas. This all makes sense since Spike Jonze and Sofia Coppola were married from 1999 to 2003 and had been together for many years before that. Sofia Coppola had already made her big personal statement in regards to love and marriage right when the couple was on the verge of divorce; Her would be Spike Jonze’s answer to those feelings. What makes it even more poignant is that Her never feels resentful or petty. It feels more like a legitimate apology. It’s an acknowledgement that, in the end, some people aren’t meant to be with each other in the long run. Some people do grow apart. Lost in Translation is about a couple on the verge of growing apart, Her is about finally letting go of the person you’ve grown apart with and moving on.”
Messages From Students on South Korean Ferry
Texts sent by Danwon High School students as their ferry began sinking on Wednesday morning express love, fear and despair.
please let there be more survivors.
last text messages from the victims of the daegu subway fire on february 18, 2003.
"i’m sorry. i won’t be able to deliver the bag and shoes i was going to make you donkkatsu too… sorry… my daughter. i love you."
"i’m tired of you hahahhahahahaha go away bye bye"
"there’s a fire. i’m going to heaven first."
"even without oppa, make sure to eat properly and listen to your parents… ok? haha. and don’t wait for me i’m not coming."
"oppa has important business so i’ll be gone for a while. don’t wait for me and go back home. ok? i love you."
"hahaha don’t wait for me hahaa i got tired of you bye!"
"study hard and grow up well daddy is sorry"
"ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ <- how i feel"
"yeah there’s a fire on the subway report it right away don’t worry and keep calm. ok? oppa is okay."
"if i suddenly wasn’t there tomorrow what are you going to do? i’m just asking because i’m curious haha"
"don’t wait for me"
"i’m so sorry for getting angry with you this morning dear i love you forever"
the ones from the parents to their children… all the boyfriends/brothers pretending nothing is wrong… and those who tried to buffer the pain by hiding the truth that they were about to die, so that their loved ones could hate them and be less hurt.
"숨을 못 쉬겠어요. 살려줘요…"
"여보 사랑해요, 애들 보고 싶어!"
(사고 발생 8분후 통화기록중)
04.18.14 “talk about a conversation that changed your life”
oh my glob. the timing. i haven’t sat down and talked to my mom in the longest time, you could say everyone was coming down with a case of tunnel vision, and i left my room feeling mind blown. family lineage was something i never gave much thought to, but then watching someone normally so calm and composed become so emotional was just *poof* what is life? the figurative flaming hoops my parents have been leaping through are just unbelievable, and as always, i can’t believe how narrow minded i’ve been.
uncontrived and sleep deprived
everything is so topsy turvy. i can’t imagine being a parent, oh goodness. the last person (M) i would expect me to ask about the book i was reading, in fact, did. i gave an impromptu presentation about the cultural significance of selfies, and then told a bad trigonometry joke, and things went more than okay! shoutout to J & P because they keep my english class super exciting & i like talking to them a lot. i’m partially judging myself for being so jaded towards school, partially feeling like my mindset is justified. i was trying to explain to my dad how i wish i could do hands on applications with the things i’m learning. back to the book i was reading, room, there was this one phrase i particularly liked: smears of time. something like that. 1/4 of school left, i should be maximizing my time, but i feel so dispassionate. but THE MORE BITTER THE #STRUGGLEZ THE SWEETER THE #VICTORY. oh how i dislike last minute inputting of grades, i hate being falsely confident when i watch my grade drop HAHA.
- speech n debate
- freshman focus
- planning more weekend warrior-ing with my fellow secret crazy-inner-dancer-party friends, yaaaaas
future, I’M COMING FOR YA.
my social studies teacher once told us “human beings are the most selfish of all. even when someone dies, you shed tears only because they are no more around to provide you with whatever they had been for so long”
and it has been 3 years since she said this and this is still what i think about at night
04.14/15.14 “make it happen. shock everyone”
i’m going to try to vaguely refer to people by initials and it’s probably going to sound weird but NONETHELESS.
- going to attempt some covers with L even though her voice is godly and mine isn’t as much. WE’RE GOING TO HIT UP SOME DANCE PARTIES AND LET LOOSE. [you make that ldr work gurl, woooork.] A misses my face at orchestra, which REMINDS ME I should probably start going to again! J told me, “you seem to just do whatever you want…i don’t know where I was going with that, but yeah, it’s really cool” and a different J totally called me a pro writer! wow, ya’ll are too flattering!
- talking to Y about not-so-pipe-dreamy-ish dreams of being writers? BREAK FREE GURRL, BREAK FREE. more people than i’ve expected read my articles, and that’s super cool. even cooler are the fact that people think it’s better than decent?! ahh. i still have a long long long way to go, but here’s to taking chances! here’s to yearbook, here’s to attempting slam open mic nights, here’s to tackling that long list of publications in my not-so-secret google docs of establishments i’d love to write for.
- TOTALLY SAW C CHECK OUT AN ASTRONOMY BOOK (background, he told me he was pretty into astronomy) & I felt like I was watching a movie where it’s like you notice the little details that signal to you how everything is falling into place! and watching that eclipse last night! and planning trips to other observatories! you’re doing it yay！
~KEEP CHASIN’ DOWN YOUR DREAMS~
i think i’m going to be more than okay.
i apologize for my hubris